Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Say a Li'l Prayer

“People pray to God so that He can crush them like bugs.”

That was according to House, MD in its episode this afternoon which left me thinking then I thought of all the times that I prayed and I have every reason to disagree with that.

My friend Mel and I were chatting the other day over at YM and we agree on the same thing. When we asked God for something, He may not necessarily give it to us the moment we asked for it but He gives it in His time, but nevertheless gives it. On the rare times that He doesn’t give it, He has a very good reason for it. In the unforgettable words of my grandmother, when you don’t get what you were asking for, it is either you don’t want it as much as you think you do, or you don’t need it, or you don’t deserve it.

Sometimes, I really feel like how House feels about praying. You give it all your shot and pray to God that he gives you this one tiny little thing and nothing happens. In those times, I really felt like a crushed bug. However, those are all overshadowed by all prayers that were granted.

I have to admit though that there are times when I pray because it has become my security blanket. In my chosen profession, one cannot go without at least believing in a superior being. You have to hold on to something more powerful than you are or you will lose it. The pain, suffering, miracles that we witness everyday are sometimes too much for a human being to handle.

At the end of the day, I may pray for several reasons: to ask for something, ask for guidance, feel safe but most importantly to say, “Thank You.” I don't pray to be crushed like a bug because I believe otherwise.
I may like House but this one time, I have to disagree with him.

No comments: