Sunday, June 29, 2008

At the end of the day

One month is almost over and I can’t help feeling sad. Another month ending brings me closer and closer to closing another chapter of my life. In 3 months time, my life as a doctor to the barrio will end.

As much as I could, I try to document it. Take pictures of patients who see me at least once a week (sick or well), chat longer with pedia patients or even drown my eyes with the scenery in front of the RHU.

Part of that would be picking out the 10 Lessons that I have learned these past 18 months in the barrio.

Photo from Career Hub


  1. If you want the world to change, change first.
  2. Live simply. Learn to weed out the real necessities, like rice, from perceived ones, like a cup of frappucino.
  3. Family is your most important wealth; especially when one feels alone. So appreciate them as much as you can.
  4. Whinning never helps.
  5. There are things that are within your control, some that are not. Learn to know the difference.
  6. Rice does not grow miraculously in grocery stands. There are people who actually break their backs to plant, grow and harvest it.
  7. TV is evil and one can survive without it.
  8. Not all politicians are corrupt. Stay away from those who are.
  9. Count your blessings. You will feel happier.
  10. When all else fails, pray.

They all sound so simple. I only had to put it in writing so that when I go back to the rat race in the city, I have this to remind me. That life can be simple and uncomplicated.

At the end of the day, the choice is within our hands.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi po.
"Rice does not grow miraculously in grocery stands. There are people who actually break their backs to plant, grow and harvest it." this must be my favorite. i can relate to this. magsasaka po ang tatay ko, nakaranas din akong magsaka. mahirap po talaga. ang masama nga lang marginalized pa rin ang mga magsasaka natin. nakakadismaya. as i was writing this, andaming pumapasok na reflection sa buhay ng isang magsasaka. pero naisip ko comment lang pala to. hehe.

MerryCherry said...

Hahaha maybe you should make a post in your blog about it linapuha.

This is actually one of my first few 'lessons' here. I remembered it because it is planting season again.

I only have admiration for the farmers who grow it. Really.

Mar C. said...

erpat ko farmer din,kaya proud ako bilang farmer din!!! ganda ng blog mo.lalo na yong header.

Anonymous said...

Whinning never helps.

-agree ako jan, it's as if by human nature, we whine abt every single thing we dont like happening. it' neither a magic word to cut out problems nor a damn curse to make things worse, it's just a simple nothing. lol.

MerryCherry said...

Pensucks, salamat. Ganda ng iyong blog.

Mumu sa kanto, natakot ako sa pangalan mo pero salamat sa pagbisita.

Anonymous said...

hi po dok,
indi ko mahanap ang youngblood article mo. broad masyado yung url. pakispecify po, tenks

MerryCherry said...

Linapuhan, ung unang artikulo, nilink ko na lang dun sa forum ng Pinoy MDs na nagpost ng article ko. Wala na kasi sa archive ng PDI.

Ung pangalawa, click mo lang, ok na siya.

Anonymous said...

hi dok,
on 2nd YB article:
i don't know where to put my comment on that article, so i decided to write it here. "at the end of the day", the title is fittingly written. at the end of the day, you may not have acquired fat bank accounts, you may not have specialized the soonest possible time but you already made a lasting mark in the hearts of the people you selflessly served. now, that's too much a legacy for your kids, and for the country. am proud of you. :-D

Anonymous said...

hi doc che,
i can't load the page of your 1st YB article. sad. :-C
thanks for the comment and for the useful info. kape tayo. :-D

MerryCherry said...

Linapuhan, you are welcome. Don't worry about the 1st article, it's short and the 2nd one is better.

Thanks for the really nice comment.

Mar C. said...

napadaan po ulit. doktor po pala kayo. salamat sa pagbisita sa blog ko.at sa comment po.

Ling said...

Hey what's next to our "Doctor" to the Barrio"?

MerryCherry said...

Pensucks, you are welcome.

Ling Xiaoyu, going back to the hospital for training. :)

Anonymous said...

im waiting for the next blog entry. hehe...

MerryCherry said...

Hahaha linapuhan, *pressure* *pressure* :)

Ligaya said...

Hi doc cherry!

I'm still studying for our boards this August but I've already been thinking beyond it (hehe assuming I pass), and I'm seriously considering signing up for DTTB. I surfed the web for details but I haven't been able to come across any, because the DOH website doesn't work na. How do you become a doctor to the barrio? Do you get to choose where to work?

MerryCherry said...

Ligaya, the DOH website is working. :) But even if it is, you won't get much information dun aside from the requirements and application process.

Sign-up at Pinoy MD website (pinoy.md), then search the DTTB thread, marami na discussion dun on how to apply. Uh, about the area of assignment, Yes and NO. It is complicated. Hehe :) send me an email for specific questions.

God bless.

Ligaya said...

Hehe, I guess I should have said the link to the DOH website thats included in the Google search results. Ok! Thanks Doc!